In the middle of central Stockholm, the castle tones up on Stadsholmen. Today's palace has been in the same place since 1754.
The Royal Palace history
There are some divided opinions about how long there has actually been a castle on the site of today's Royal Palace. It is said that Birger Jarl had a castle built here in the middle of the 13th century. Part of the old castle is preserved behind the castle's baroque façade. With Gustav Vasa taking power in Sweden, the modern nation-state of Sweden was also created. The castle in Stockholm now became the country's most important residence. In the years that followed, the castle was also transformed into a magnificent castle with both a moat and a drawbridge as a real castle in the world of fairy tales.
In 1588, the castle was named "Tre Kronor" when three gilded crowns were placed on top of the tallest tower in the middle of the castle. Three crowns is Sweden's heraldic national symbol and these three crowns were used as early as the 1330s by King Magnus Eriksson. Fires used to be fatal, even for Tre Kronor Castle. On May 7, 1697, the worst fire broke out and almost the entire castle was completely destroyed. It was not until 1754 that the new castle was ready and the royal family was able to move in (King Adolf Fredrik and Queen Lovisa Ulrika). No major changes have taken place with the castle since the 18th century.
Karl XIV Johan
Jan 26, 1763 Jean Bernadotte was born in France. Jean was appointed Crown Prince of Sweden in 1810 during a time when Sweden needed a strong regent. Jean was adopted by the then King Charles XIII who had no children of his own in life and was named Karl Johan. When the king died in 1818, Karl Johan took over on 5 February 1818. Even today, the Bernadotte family is heirs to the throne.
Since 1523, there has been Guards at the castle. Today, the High Guard is part of the Armed Forces' task of guarding Stockholm Castle. Every day there is a High Guard relief with specific procedures. During the summer season with even more stately shift changes.
The Castle Church
The castle has its own church and in fact its very own parish - Hovförsamlingen. The church is open in connection with services and masses all year round. During the summer, the church is open for its own tour.
The castle's various halls and floors
The magnificent parade floors which are referred to as representation floors. Som ex. The party floor, the guest floor and the Bernadotte floor. The interior is well preserved and even today you can view Gustav III's parade bed chamber and Oscar II's writing room.
Ulrika's Dining Room
Adolf Fredrik, Lovisa Ulrika and the children Gustav (8), Karl (6), Fredrik Adolf (4) and Sofia Albertina (1) moved into the new castle in December 1754. There was a lot of work left to do at the new castle during long time ahead. Gustav III became a customer in 1771 and he had much of the oldest decoration removed, which had already become old and outdated.